Skip to main content
Ann Harris Bennett
Accomplishments since she took office in 2019
- Ongoing College Registration Drives and VDVR trainings at:
o Rice University, UH, TSU, Lone Star Colleges, HCC.
• Registered students every year at High School Graduations.
• Traveled to over 40 senior living facilities and various churches to register them to vote.
• Partnered with YMCA and 23 businesses for National Voter registration day.
• Provide voter registration efforts at Naturalization Ceremonies.
• Partnered with Project Orange to register eligible inmates in Harris County.
• Met with Houston Association of Realtors and some apartment managers to help us bring voter registration initiatives to apartment complexes.
• Partnering with Fiesta Mart on registering their customers to vote at their branches.
- Trainings, Social Media & Tax Office Services are offered in English, Spanish, Chinese, & Vietnamese.
• 201 VDVR trainings provided in 2019 vs 12/year that the Secretary of State mandates.
• 5,037 people were deputized for the 2019-2020 term. This number surpasses all the previous years.
• Implemented VDVR of the month: Awarded with a certificate and a small gift for their hard work.
• Developed Quarterly Newsletter to keep our VDVRs informed.
• Created an Outreach calendar for everybody to check for scheduled outreach events and to request a private training for their organization.
• Developed Voter Portal to allow VDVR’s to check on how many people they have registered.
• Currently training High School Principals, union members and staff.
Property, Auto and more...
- Raised minimum wage in the Tax office to $15 an hour.
• Provided a 3.5% cost of living to employees.
• Promoted and positioned women and minorities in leadership roles.
o Women in management: 88%
o Minority women in management: 77%
o Total minorities in management: 95%
• Provided raises across the board and improved the tax office culture from past administrations.
• Extended property tax payment plans from 12 to 36 months for residents in need.
• Created 85 property tax workshops and a mobile tax office to assist residents throughout the county.
• Installed Nemo-Q, customer queuing system, in all branch locations and enhanced customer service and wait times.